Volunteer for our Food Club
COMMUNITY FOOD CLUB – currently open
Our new Bonny Downs Community Food Club needs volunteers!
A food Club enables local people to access good quality food, at a very affordable price. Its not a crisis support like a foodbank, but instead is a more sustainable and long-term model of support.
Our new Bonny Downs Community Food Club aims to:
- Provide regular access to a sustainable supply of food to local people within the E6 area
- Increase disposable income for local families to improve life chances and wellbeing
- Refer people to specialist services who can support them in other ways
- Reduce the amount of food being sent to landfill in the UK by utilising surplus food
You can read all about the Club here!
What tasks may be involved?
- Setting up the food club before members arrive and breaking down / clearing away at the end
- Assist with cooking and the preparation of a meal shared with our guests and volunteers
- Some lifting i.e. unloading boxes, crates and tables
- Communicating with guests as they pick their food
- Counting money
- Registering new members
- Some data entry onto a database
- We are very keen to recruit drivers, willing to collect donations from local venues
We are seeking volunteers who are/ have:
- Friendly and patient
- Empathy and ability to work with a diverse range of people in an inclusive and proactive way
- Strong listening and communication skills
- Reliable, and able to commit to volunteering on Thursdays on a regular basis
- Able to work within guidelines and always follow confidentiality policies
- Have a general level of fitness, as some lifting will be involved
- Basic understanding of mathematics to calculate costs
- Ability to work on own or as part of a very small team
- 18 years of age or older
- We are also keen to recruit volunteers with a lived experience of the pressures of food insecurity
To apply, please complete our short application form here. We look forward to hearing from you!