About our Community Garden
Located next to Flanders Playing Field in East Ham, our Grow Together Be Together Community Garden is an urban oasis where neighbours can relax, socialise and boost their wellbeing.
We also love to create opportunities in the garden for local people to gain new skills and experience and boost their employability through volunteering, education and training!
Join our gardening sessions!
Currently running weekly, every Friday and Saturday from 10am – 1pm!
At the heart of our garden project are our regular weekly gardening sessions. Neighbours and volunteers of all ages (including accompanied children) join these friendly and informal sessions and we’d love you to come along!
At these sessions, you can relax in nature, meet neighbours and socialise safely outdoors. At harvest time, there is often fresh food to take away. And throughout the year you can take the opportunity to learn new skills you can put to use in the community or at home.
On Saturdays, families are particularly welcome when we often provide child-friendly activities such as scavenger hunts and wildlife surveys.
The activities at our weekly sessions change with the seasons and include:
- Organic food growing techniques and permaculture design, including propagation, plant care, harvesting, organic pest control, companion planting and more
- Wildlife gardening
- Soil science and compost creation
- Plant and animal identification
- Tool maintenance and repairs, plus occasional carpentry
- Occasional craft activities such as willow weaving, pottery and painting.
Joining info for gardening sessions
Locate the community garden here.
You do not need to register in advance to attend these sessions – just turn up on the day.
We’ll provide gloves and gardening tools. Please bring your own drinks, snacks and sun protection.
Other outdoor skills opportunities
During the year, we also welcome a diverse cross-section of the community for outdoors learning and skills opportunities too! These typically include:
- Local primary schools at our Outdoor Classroom – environmental education sessions linked to the national curriculum are free for Newham schools! Contact us to find out more
- Volunteering and work experience for the homeless and vulnerably-houses community, in partnership with NEWlife
- Work experience for young people, through our local partnerships, for example with the Newham Youth Offending Team and Newham College
“If you hadn’t looked after me, I don’t know what would have happened. I’d still be on the streets – or worse.”Read Paul’s story and learn how our our garden project can make a difference to local people’s lives
Events and celebrations
Our garden is also home to a range of community celebrations through the year. From Hallowe’en to Easter and Eid to Diwali, we love to celebrate with our neighbours. People of all ages and backgrounds, all faiths and none, are very welcome.
At these events, we often provide complimentary refreshments, free outdoor activities like crafts and storytelling – and sometimes we have special guests such as Santa or the Easter Bunny who bring along treats too!
For details of our latest events, please check out our What’s On page.
Whether you have a family birthday or announcement to celebrate, or are a community organisation looking for a unique venue for a get-together, our Community Garden is open for hire at affordable rates!
To learn more, check availability, or to make a booking, please email us or call us on 0208 586 7070.